Tuesday 19 March 2013

I got robbed!


About a week ago, I stuck a wrought iron shepherd's hook in the front yard and hung a bird feeder on it. Later, I poured some feed in it and saw that it became very popular with doves, finches, cardinals, sparrows, etc. Then, to our chagrin, the squirrels managed to climb the half-inch diameter post and shake the feeder so that seeds fall to the ground and they'd scrounge a free meal.

After a few days, the evil rodents actually learned to stand to the side of the feeder, open the lid and get right inside and eat to their hearts' content.

Well, I wasn't going to be robbed by a pea-brained rat, so this morning, I dabbed a paper towel with cooking oil, went outside and rubbed down about a two foot section of the pole up from about a foot off the ground.

We stood at the doorway and waited. Sure enough, Mr. Crook wanders over, sees us watching, but decides we're no threat. He jumps up on the pole to about the middle of the greased area, and for a split second is motionless then suddenly slides down about a foot, all the while staring at us with a look that I'm sure said "WTF???.

I got my camera hoping to catch a repeat performance on video, but alas, it was not to be. I'll keep a look-out just in case some other wise guy gets the same idea.



Click here to go to most recent posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment