Monday 22 September 2008

At the track

I went to my local thoroughbred racing track this past Saturday. I had my usual luck when betting a horse trained by one of the better trainers there. For one reason or another, I have lost every bet save for one that I have ever made on his horses. I always seem to bet the right horse at the wrong time. Horses with proven records never seem to win when I bet on them.

Anyway, on this occasion, a new way was found for the horse I bet on to lose. The horse started out fine around the middle of the pack. By about one third of the length of the race, he had worked himself up to first. Suddenly he pulled up very quickly and went out of camera range, all the horses advancing well past him--not a good sign. A thought popped into my mind of how appropriate the horse's name was given these circumstances--Payday Peril.

At that point I got up from my chair where I had been watching the race on a big-screen monitor and went outside to see what the matter was. Somehow, the horse had managed to make his way almost a half mile further along the track and was right in front of me where I exited the grandstand. I thought maybe there was hope for the horse since he had gone that far after sustaining whatever ailed him.

He was surrounded by 5-6 people, including his trainer which I recognized. While a couple of men consoled the horse, a couple more were checking out his front legs. My view was slightly obstructed, so I couldn't see exactly what was going on. Just then, the horse reared up and then immediately laid down and suddenly there was no movement. I tried as best I could to look for any signs of breathing. I could not detect any. The horse was very eerily still and I concluded they had euthanized him.

It broke my heart. It made me realize how insignificant my wager on this horse was. This horse who had worked his heart out in perhaps ten races or more, having won three of his last six, including his last two, had earned a small fortune for his connections and had the promise of even more success. I can only hope that he had received the affection and fine treatment he deserved.

They placed a large screen between the horse and onlookers (too late, I thought) and prepared to load the poor creature into the horse ambulance. I retreated back to my seat and remarked to those sitting near me "I think they euthanized that horse". My comment was greeted with stone silence of indifference.

Anyone who has ever entered a horse racing establishment would have immediately noticed how unsavoury many of the patrons are. They are loud, boisterous, rowdy, unkempt, of poor breeding and generally lack proper hygiene. But that day, I found yet another adjective to add to the list: heartless.

Late that night, I googled the horse's name and to my surprise and dismay, I couldn't find a single item relating to the horse's death (or less likely, his condition). I even checked the race track's own website to no avail. The fine career and promise of this horse, and his painful and sad passing had gone by without so much as a footnote.

As I was writing this today, Monday, I checked again for an item on the horse and am glad to see that a few sentences were written in a blog by Jennifer Morrison to mark the gelding's life and death. Jennifer Morrison is the track odds-maker. Kudos to her. The horse racing sport needs more like her.

Here is Jen's blog.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you Vinny for the shout-out.
    What a sad ting that was and I am glad that on that afternoon, I was out of town..I would have been devastated.
    I can't imagine what happened, why he broke down, why he was running losse...it is tragic for sure.
    Thank goodness there has only been a couple of those all year, at Woodbine anyway....
    Looks like you are enjoying the blogging biz! It's crazy work but I guess some of us have to do it!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written Vinny. The horses are the stars of the show and they deserve all the respect in the world.

    Woodbine has done well to get in polytrack to help the horses.

    Cheers


    Keith TripleDeadHeat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was watching this race at home with my older brother, I hope to start a career in horse racing after i graduate from kemptville. I feel your pain because i was going for him too. I saw his name in the paper and was like i cant wait for him to race today. He's kinda one of those horses you like or fall in love with for some reason, (like i fell inlove with mike fox even before he one the queens plate) anyways, i had just looked at my brother to tell him how well Payday Peril had been doing this year when i looked back and herd the announcer saying Payday Peril was being pulled up. I saw the pain on his face even my brother (who isnt a horse person) was silent. ..I've never been a lover of grass races, all of those random holes that horses could probably step in...its dangerous... and i started to cry silently because even though woodbine has good people i knew they would euthanize him. because i guess a lot of heartless people would rather cash in their insurance on the horse than save it's life...I did the same thing as you. I looked on the internet to see if there was anything about it but no. It's as if it didnt happen or he never even existed and thats the sad part. Ya i totally agree that a majority of the people that go to the races don't care, thats why we sit up in the boxes where the most people that do care are sitting. When it comes down to it I really wish they gave Payday Peril the chance to survive, the barn i work at have adopted many lame and broken down horses. and just resently resold a horse by the name of Foxy Money who one the Bull Page as a two year old. We call him Buddy and he's never been happier. It's people like his conections that i respect, because he asked us to save his horse. so we did. I would have been the first to say I'd take Payday Peril home with me.
    RIP PAYDAY PERIL <3 you will live on in my heart even though you are the one who broke it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank-you all for expressing your sentiments on my blog. You are all no doubt assets to the horse racing industry.

    Amanda, good luck with your aspirations. I hope to watch you bring home many winners for me in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. To Amanda:

    Thank you for your sentiments about Payday Peril. We loved him very much too. But I take exception to your comment about "because i guess a lot of heartless people would rather cash in their insurance". There was no insurance on Payday Peril and he was euthanized immediately to ease his pain and suffering. His injuries were severe and it would have been cruel to let him suffer.

    I assure you he was in GREAT shape and went into the race without a pimple. He simply took a bad step and the results were catastrophic.

    We are in this sport because we love it and have a PASSION for the Equine Athlete. The investment in dollars, time and commitment are high. But nothing compares to the pain you feel when you lose one of your horses. We didn't own Payday Peril for very long, but we still mourn his lost.

    Sincerely
    Carlo Tucci
    Tucci Stables

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just read your article about Payday Peril and I just wanted to add a few words. I was at Woodbine and I think it's the first time I really see that happening in front of me. I did'nt really watch because tears were in my eyes and those sad moments shouldn't be available to the audience's eyes : not because they shouldn't know what happens sometimes in this sports, but because as you said, some people just don't care and I think it's unfair to the horse, and to the people who loved him to "enjoy" the show without even a kind thought. Moreover, I'm from France and I'm still following what happens on racetracks over there and 2 horses died on sunday during one single race. It really was a bad week-end I guess for horse racing seeing how we lost so many of our friends and little champions in such a short time. May they rest in peace and run together wherever they are...
    Oh and there is a picture of Payday Peril on my blog (but the text is in French)
    http://chevalnancybrabois.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your lovely comment, Fanjag. Horse heaven must be awesome, where they can run for their own pleasure. I was able to read your story with the help of my high school French---very touching.

    ReplyDelete