Monday 27 October 2008

Grammar policing

It's becoming more and more difficult to find someone who can compose even a simple sentence, anymore. This promotion is hosted by a popular Toronto radio station on their website:

Sky Restaurant and Cocktail Lounge is in Mississauga at 2680 Skymark Avenue. From award-winning jumbo wings to signature salads. Comfortable, elegant dining.

The second and third "sentences" are invalid. There's no action/verb. I would change them thusly:

We serve award-winning jumbo wings to signature salads. Enjoy comfortable, elegant dining.

I suppose it's not as egregious as an error appearing in the New York Times or other prestigious publications. I've seen errors in many of them. Sometimes two or three in the same paragraph. And I'm just a lay person who didn't even finish high school. I finally decided to get my GED when I was in my forties.

No comments:

Post a Comment