Monday 9 August 2010

Is politness dead?

If you've ever heard someone say that Canadians are polite (or even if you haven't), consider the following:

The other day, I stopped for gas. After I paid inside, I opened the door to exit, and right at that moment, I spotted a woman approaching the entrance from the right, so I held the door open for her and gestured for her to enter. At that same moment, another young lady arrived from the left. The lady on the right gestured to the girl on the left to enter. Ms. Left said "Thank-you", Ms. Right said "You're welcome", and as Ms. Left entered, she thanked me and I said "You're very welcome". Then the original woman stepped inside and we repeated the polite exchange. Just as I was about to finally exit, a guy had come to the door. Again, I stood there holding the door, but I guess he had seen me holding the door for the two before him and he said "Thanks--you go ahead". I exited through the door and said "Thanks". He said "You're welcome".

I won't say this scenario can't or doesn't happen elsewhere, but I imagine there's often the odd person who spoils the whole thing by either not holding the door or not saying "Thank-you" or "You're welcome". Anyway, the experience had me smiling for a while, and proud of my community and even my country. Am I too easily impressed?


Click here to go to most recent posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment