Friday 11 July 2008

Ding! Ding! Ding!

This morning at about 11:00 a.m., the fire alarm went off in my apartment building. Reluctantly, I walked down five flights of stairs. I noticed immediately that no one was in the stairwell and not one tenant from the building was outside. I know there's a good dozen or more cars in the parking lot most days so there are people at home. I strolled completely around the building and nary a person was seen. The fire department arrived and after several minutes, the alarm was shut off.

I guess it's a case of "crying wolf". Most alarms are false and so people are conditioned not to respond. I'm not even that crazy about my life but I got out of the building toot sweet. It'd be interesting to know how many people die or are injured each year by ignoring alarms. Maybe it's just nature's way of thinning the herd and cleansing the gene pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment